Friday 18 November 2011

Equine hues

I've been working on my first auxiliary cavalry turma, but I'm not happy with the colour of the horses.

I’ve been working up the colour with ink and paint washes, but the colours don’t look enough like the colours of real horses to me.

I read a few forum posts on the subject (on The Miniatures Page) but no-one was actually giving away which colour paints they used for specific types (eg bay, chestnut). By chance I stumbled on a reference to Howard Hues’ range of basic horse colours.

So I bought some.

The turma begins to come to life ... but the colours aren’t quite right. Hopefully Howard Hues will rescue the situation.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be interested in seeing what happens. I've had suggested to be an oil paint method that's actually quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete